Some weeks my thoughts flow like leaves in a summer breeze. Other weeks they are like a pile of kindling waiting for a fire. Then there are weeks, like this one, when my mind feels dry and arid. So to quench my thirst I’ve gathered some of my favorite quotations to ponder and provide a cool drink for you as well. Enjoy!
* Don’t believe everything you think.
* Do not confuse your vested interests with ethics. Do not identify the enemies of your privilege with the enemies of humanity.
* Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
* The book to read is not the book that thinks for you but the one that makes you think.
* Four sentences when said lead to wisdom: I’m sorry. I was wrong. I don’t know. I need help.
* If you hate a person, you hate something in them that is part of yourself. What isn’t part of ourselves doesn’t disturb us.
* She didn’t carry a grudge; they were far too heavy and she had too far to go.
* We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will be.
* It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults in others and to forget his own.
* Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.
* You will turn over many a futile new leaf until you learn we must all write on scratched-out pages.
* Life is a choice. All day everyday. Who we talk to, where we sit, how we say it. And our life becomes defined by our choices. It’s as simple and complex as that ……And as powerful.
* A refusal to face reality allows it to stab you in the back.
* When “Why not do it?” barely outweighs “Why do it?” — don’t do it.
* Life isn’t fair, at least on the micro level. Deal with it. But don’t deal with it by making it more unfair to others.
* In cases of doubtful morality we usually ask ourselves if there is any harm in doing this; it might be better to ask, is there any harm in letting it alone.
* Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
* Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
* When someone demands blind obedience, you’d be a fool not to peek.
* If you don’t understand the cause of the problem, your solution will become part of it.
* Practical life teaches us that people may differ and that both may be wrong: it also teaches us that people may differ and both be right. Anchor yourself fast in the latter faith, or the former will sweep your heart away.
* Giving up doesn’t always mean you are weak. Sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go.
* There is great power in letting go, and there is great freedom in moving on.
* If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it — a reason to devote an occasional day to breaking everything.
* Beware of letting your comforts become means of pain; nor make yourself miserable for the sake of being happy.
* I’m beginning to recognize that happiness isn’t something large and looming on the horizon but something small, numerous and already here. The smile of someone you love. A decent breakfast. The warm sunset. Your little everyday joys all lined up in a row.
Just a thought…
NOTE: We are experiencing some problems when people try to reply directly to a post. Until these issues are resolved, please send any comments directly to Pat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2021 Patrick J. Moriarty. All Rights Reserved.
Would you like to submit a post to Just A Thought? To learn more, please click here.